- Three-step search (3SS): based on coarse-find approach. The first step size is half of maximum motion displacement.
- 2D-logarithmic search (2DLOG):
- Orthogonal search algorithm (OSA):
- Cross search algorithm (CSA)
- Conjugate direction search algorithm (CDS): 3 steps: search x direction, search y, search in diagonal direction.
- Full search (exhaustive search)
- Cross Correlation Function (CCF, or Normalized CCF)
- Mean Square Error (MSE)
- Mean Absolute Error (MAE)
- Sum of Absolute Difference (SAD) -- this one is commonly used (simplicity in hardware implementation) #
Full search: spiral order
Fast search: three-step
one at a time
nearest neighbours: this one is used in H.263 and MPEG4